Discover Genoa, the Superb
In this unforgettable tour specially designed for a first-time visit, we will show you the main highlights of Genoa, Italy's largest sea port, contradictory city with a unique atmosphere. Birthplace of blue jeans, Christopher Columbus and the...
- Spianata Castelletto (10'). A fabulous "balcony" suspended over the Historic Centre with a 360° view out over the city and the port. From here you can admire the rooftops made of slate as well as mediaeval towers and Baroque domes; in the distance, the sea comes alive with both modern ships and ancient memories. The background is also amazing, with parks, villas, sanctuaries and crowned with the city’s fortresses.
- Piazza De Ferrari and Palazzo Ducale (30’). Genoa's main square is a meeting and gathering place for important city events. In the middle there is a monumental bronze fountain and all around important and elegant buildings such as the Carlo Felice Opera Theatre, the Ligurian Academy of Fine Arts, the Stock Exchange Palace, the Palazzo della Regione (headquarter of the regional government) and the amazing Palazzo Ducale (Doge’s Palace), with its Renaissance façade.
- Saint Lawrence Cathedral (40' - free admission). This is the most important church in Genoa and represents one of the highest examples of Romanesque and Gothic art in the region. The cathedral is dedicated to Saint Lawrence and guards the ashes of the patron saint of the city, Saint John the Baptizer, brought to Genoa at the end of the First Crusade.
- Via Garibaldi (40’). Via Garibaldi is one of Genoa’s jewels and listed on the UNESCO World Heritage, together with its wonderful palaces. Among them: Palazzo Bianco and Palazzo Rosso, seat of two extraordinary museums hosting masterpieces by Rubens, Van Dyck, Caravaggio and many others, and Palazzo Tursi, seat of Genoa’s City Hall where is preserved the famous “Cannon”, the violin belonged to the great Genoese violinist Niccolò Paganini.
- Caruggi (narrow alleys). The Genoese historic area with its maze of “caruggi” is one of the greatest examples in Europe of a medieval city preserved almost intact. It is a labyrinth of alleys, all to be discovered to perceive the enchantment of the old city. In all of them, it’s possible to blend smells, flavours and different cultures. This is out of doubt the place to be: the heart of the true Genoa.
- Porto Antico (30’). Genoa’s history and fortunes started at its Old Port (Porto Antico), active since the 5th century BC. Today, following Renzo Piano’s renovations, this is the most touristic place in the city and houses the famous Aquarium, several museums, a panoramic lift (Bigo), an open-air pool and restaurants and bars of any kind. The view of the magnificent façade of Palazzo San Giorgio crowns the area.
Know before you book
- Duration 5.30 hours
- Prices given per PERSON in US$
- Lowest Price Guarantee
- No booking fees
- Full refund if port stop is cancelled or ship can't dock.
Inclusions & Exclusions
- Pick Up or drop off at port
- Professional Local Guide (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Swedish, Portuguese. Other languages on request, if available)
- Private Tour
- If your ship can´t dock due to inclement weather conditions there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel at least 7 calendar days in advance, there is no cancellation fee either.
- If you cancel between 3 and 6 calendar days in advance, you will be charged a 50% cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 2 calendar days in advance, you will be charged a 100% cancellation fee.
What to expect
In this unforgettable tour specially designed for a first time visit, we will show you the main highlights of Genoa, Italy's largest sea port, contradictory city with a unique atmosphere. Birthplace of blue jeans, Christopher Columbus and the cross of Saint George, Genoa was one of the world’s greatest trading powers in medieval times. For years most visitors would fly in to Genoa airport and head straight for the Cinque Terre or Portofino, but in recent years the authorities have started using history, culture and food to tempt people to stop and appreciate the glories of the city called “La Superba”. If you want to customize this tour getting into any of the museums (Palazzo Bianco or Palazzo Rosso) or having a boat trip in the port area please let us know well in advance in order to get the tickets for the desired date and time. If you don't mention any, we will consider you are happy just exploring the city without any specific inner visit.