Carrara and the marble caves
La Spezia, Italy
Exiting jeep excursion to discover the secrets of the “White Alps”, the Apuane Alps, source of the best existing type of marble chosen by Michelangelo for his marvelous sculptures. An astonishing world made of rocks, hard labour and talent...
- Carrara caves (2h30’)
The marble quarries are enormous white slashes visible along wild and abrupt slopes, where small men handle gigantic stone blocks. For the last 2000 years, nature and man daily have been
working together to supply the raw material for architectural and artistic works that adorn squares, palaces and private buildings all over the world.
- Colonnata (1h)
At 550 metres above sea level, Colonnata is a tiny town nestled in the Apuane Alps, with a handful of narrow streets and a small square paved with white marble. The small village hosts another treasure of this area: the soft and delicious Lardo di Colonnata, that you will taste together with a glass of good wine.
Know before you book
- Duration 4 hours
- Prices given per PERSON in EUROS
- Lowest Price Guarantee
- No booking fees
- Full refund if port stop is cancelled or ship can't dock.
Inclusions & Exclusions
- Pick Up or drop off at port
- Professional Local Guide (English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Swedish, Portuguese. Other languages on request, if available)
- Private jeep tour
- Lardo di Colonnata tasting
- Entrance fees
- If your ship can´t dock due to inclement weather conditions there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel at least 7 calendar days in advance, there is no cancellation fee too.
- If you cancel between 3 and 6 calendar days in advance, you will be charged a 50% cancellation fee.
- If you cancel within 2 calendar days in advance, you will be charged a 100% cancellation fee.
What to expect
During this excursion, you will discover a fascinating world, that is not just a process of excavation and manifacturing of stones, but the history of an entire territory and its population. You will be driven inside diﬀerent, active quarries, reaching an altitude of about 1000 meters above the sea level, with many stops for technical explanations, pictures and observation of every single moment of the excavation process. On the way back, tasty stop to try the famous Lardo of Colonnata IGP